Sunday, August 3, 2008

Welcome to Joburg!


Hi everyone!

Yes, I know I had promised a blog and here it is! A little late, but here nonetheless.

I've been here for just about three weeks and it's been an interesting three weeks. As a member of the inaugural faculty at ALA, I have been doing a lot of work, work, work, work, and work. And more work. We started working on the 15th of July and worked straight through until July 26th-- 11 days in a row without a break, and often going until 8 or so at night. There finally was an outcry for personal time and a near mutiny, and now we actually are getting days off to go explore the city of 3.5 million people that is Johannesburg.

But, I have come to a very clear and powerful conclusion in my short time here so far: this school is going to transform Africa. I am working with amazing people from all over and I've had the chance to meet several students who are exceptional human beings who are going to lead the African Renaissance. It's quite exciting and I feel both humbled and privileged to be down here. If you have not had a chance to check out the school, please take a moment to at: www.africanleadershipacademy.org.

The staff are amazing, as I said. Here's a quick rundown of us so far:

The Dean-- from Kenya, led two schools to the top ranking in Kenya. Amazing, humble man
Alex- from the UK but living in Hong Kong last 9 years-- teaching African History
Alison- from South Africa, teaching languages
Beatrice- from Kenya, teaching languages
David- from US, teaching fellow (I'll explain what this is below)
Dinah- from Ghana, teaching fellow
Eugene- from Ghana, teaching fellow
Gavin- from Zimbabwe, teaching drama
Jess- from US, teaching Entrepreneurship
Jordan- from US, teaching fellow
Michael- from Ghana, teaching science
Mohammed- from Morocco, teaching languages
Rhobhi- from Tanzania, teaching fellow
Samburu- from Kenya, teaching fellow
Sani- from Nigeria, teaching science
Scott- from US, but living in Kenya previously- teaching science
Tanya- from South Africa, teaching languages

(In this picture, left to right: Gavin, The Dean, me, Alex, Sani, Michael (standing)

We still have a few positions left to fill, so our staff will grow in the next month before we open, but that's it for now. The teaching fellows are all people with 1-3 years of work experience post college, who are living on campus with the students and will have a hand in a variety of the classes offered here at ALA. They're all in their early-to-mid 20's.


(In the picture above: 1st row- Rhobhi, Tanya, Maria (our guide), Alex, Alison, The Dean;
2nd row- David, Gavin, Sani, Michael; 3rd row- me, Scott, Jordan, Jess, Eugene
not pictured: Samburu, Dinah, Mohammed, Beatrice)

So, I've said that we've working a lot and haven't had much of a chance to explore Joburg and the area. The few times we have gone out, we've seen a few sites worth mentioning. Our first outing was to Sterkfontein caves, where the oldest human remains have been found, thus confirming the claim of Africa as the "Motherland" and the origination of humans. The caves are part of an area called "Cradle of Humankind" because of the remains that have been found over the years. The picture above is from this day.

Another outing was to a theater production called "Ten Bush" which was a fascinating play about tribal history, among other things. Part of the play was spoken in Zulu, which I hope to learn a little bit of while I'm here.

We've gone out house hunting and I did find a house that I'm really excited about! I'll have plenty, plenty, plenty of room, so I am making a request that you all come and visit me! I'll post a video tour of the house on my next post. It's a thatched house and it's so cool!

I have found Joburg to be less expensive overall, than living in the States. In particular, going out is quite cheap! For example, our crew here have discovered how cheap movies are. The unit of currency is called the rand, and currently, 1 US dollar is equivalent to 7.5 rand. So, going to a movie costs R 29.50, or about $3.94 US. And it gets even lower because we all have Discovery health care at ALA and with one of their plans called Vitality (which I got) you get a discount on the movies which takes the price down to R12! That is less than $2 USD per movie! That is unheard of yeah? So I've taken in two movies so far, with plans to take in a lot more! Perhaps two or three or four times even...

And food and beverages-- quite cheap. There were a group of 5 of us that went out last night and we hit three spots in a hip part of Joburg. Each of us got a drink at every place and the cheapest bill was R88 and the most expensive was R102-- so we're looking at liquoring up 5 people for under $14-- love that! (Of course we ate too! And that was cheap as well.)

There are some fun things that I'm finding out about the culture here in Joburg. Among them: instead of saying "I'll see you in a bit" or "I'll see you soon," you would say "I'll see you just now." How "just now" means "in a bit or soon" is beyond me, especially given we're all speaking English! But it's one of those fun things about learning about another culture.
I've managed to learn how to drive on the other side of the street, and driving from the driver's seat, which is now on the right side of the car. 99% of the cars are manuals, which is what I had anyways. I hear that doing things opposite of what you're used to keeps your brain sharp, so thank God for that!

This week we're going to the Apartheid Museum, which I hear is an amazing experience. And we're going to tour the largest township of Sowetho, so this should be an exciting week. I'll tell you all about it in my 3rd blog installment (remember my house comes next!)

Oh yeah-- you can get a hold of me on my cell phone: 011 27 073 954 2593. That's what you'd do if you picked up the phone and called me straight up. Also, I'm going to get a skype number, which is a US number so then it's very inexpensive. I'll keep you posted. And my address here is as follows:

Peter Myers
African Leadership Academy
Post Net Suite
#143
Private Bag X 1
Northcliff 2115
South Africa

The campus is gorgeous and has about 20 peacocks living amongst us, including an albino one. Apparently, there was another albino one but a staff member thought it was a chicken and killed it. I'll assume that he or she was informed of the error and hence, the other albino lives on.

Love to all and make plans to come see me!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you and your blog! Please keep us updated on all your adventures. I'm dying to see what an albino peacock looks like...

Anonymous said...

Hey Pete -

Cool, thanks for the link to your blog. Darrin and I look forward to checking in periodically to see how things are going. Good luck with the school!

John H. in SF

Blomo Green said...

I haven't figured out how to subscribe, but I'll periodically check your blog site. I'm seriously going to plan a visit. Have a wonderful time!

Unknown said...

Hey Peter! I LOVE your blog!

We're back at LHS and I was really missing you. Perfect timing getting this from you . . .

I am so totally going to visit you next summer!

Anonymous said...

Hey Petey pete

This is sooo great that you are doing this blog. You alway have such amazing and interesting stories to share. I really look foward to hearing about your adventures.

hugs from bobby in SLC

maria said...

haha love that i have been tagged as 'your guide'-- also great to hear a different view on ala!!

if you're interested in my own ramblings they're at www.mytb.org/mlambert116

cheers-
maria

Anonymous said...

Hey Pete,
Thanks for the blog! Still looking for photos of your house since,,the video's not working out yet! Keep posting photos, for those that have children. We spend our time traveling to track and basketball games!
PS..I can't wait to see the albino peacock, too!!
Love, Carrie (Jay, Ginny, James)